Monday, May 23, 2011

The Best of Friends

I loved watching my teenagers tonight.  I'm not through mothering them, of course, but it's a relief this far down the road to see all our hard work hasn't been for nothing :)  I've always told them :  friends may come and go, but you're stuck with each other forever.  I've always encouraged them to feel responsible (within healthy boundaries) for sticking together and helping each other.  Tonight I saw Evan excited to be able to show Jordan some self defense moves (he'd just learned them) and I saw that Jordan admired and respected the knowledge Evan had.  Afterward, talking to Jordan about it, SHE SAID how he just seems so grown up.  It struck me that she's proud of how he's growing up. What mixture of emotions to see my babies, MY babies, my BABIES so grown up.  I'm constantly looking, noticing, memorizing almost, the details, of their grown-up-ness, trying to hold onto the moment. I know teenagers are "supposed" to be such monsters, and mine do have their moments, but like the other stages of their lives I am watching them in awe, a mixture of love and pride and sadness for the time that's gone, I can't get back...and anticipation of what comes next. 

When they were little I always hoped that when they were older, they'd be like they are now.  They can still fight like cats and dogs!! But, they are the best of friends.  I am thankful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment