Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Squeeze the Charmin

It's precious to me that at 9 years old, if Jessie wakes up beside me (any excuse will do to get in mama's bed sometimes) that she looks at me and smiles when she sees that I'm there.  This morning she did that, then leaned over and kissed me.  I kissed her a minute then the dog started begging to go out, so I encouraged Jessie to stay in the bed a bit while we did Bible.  She hates to wait how long it takes before she can have the main tv in the living room, the one with all her shows dvr'd.  She went back to sleep I think for a few minutes.

"Good Morning, Mama".  "Good Morning, Mama".  Evan helps out, "Mama, Jessie said good morning to you two times".  She has learned, for the most part, to wait patiently or go watch tv in another room till we finish Bible, so although she spoke to me, she had come and sat down in front of the Barbie house and started to play.   Since I'm the one reading I never even heard what she said.  I love that Evan wanted to be sure I acknowledged her greeting.

We finished Bible and I called Jessie up on the couch with me for a proper "good morning".  She snuggled up in my lap, and these days she's quite a lapful (I was shocked when they weighed her a couple of weeks ago and she weighed 100 lbs!).  We chatted a minute and then there was a pause.  Then she says, "Squeeze the Charmin".  I've told her a plenty that she was "the Charmin", all soft and squeezable.  Some times when she walks by I'll tell her I need a squeeze.  This was the 1st time she'd told me to squeeze the charmin.

Sometimes these days feel complicated, trying to meet each kids needs and do it in a way that speaks in each of their "love languages".  I am sure that as the day goes on, things will get more complicated, and that even Jessie won't be satisfied with whatever time or attention that I can give her.  Even so, I'm glad that I am here with them.  I'm glad that we started the day reading the Bible together.  I'm glad that we have time to stop and squeeze the charmin.  It helps me hold on in those crazy moments, of which there are many!

2 comments:

  1. Precious times and memories! As we homeschool there are days we wonder--am I doing anyone any good? And then there are days when we know it's exactly as it should be....as we take time to squeeze the Charmin. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment on my blog. I look forward to reading yours too!

    Love your Squeeze the Charmin, too fun!

    ReplyDelete