Monday, October 26, 2009

Buddy Walk cont'd

#2 I love the fact that this day of Buddy Walk every where I look I will see someone with Down syndrome and a family that loves them. This day every person with DS is celebrated. I think we are better people because we love someone with Down syndrome; I like the idea that everyone around me that day probably thinks the same thing.

#3 10 (I think) Buddy Walk billboards were put up in our area...everyone that saw one HAD to think that kid was cute and, for a moment at least, thought about Down syndrome.

#4 Every person asked to sign up for Buddy Walk, whether they registered or not, thought about Down syndrome.

#5 Many of the 1200 people who got them will be wearing their Buddy Walk shirts throughout the year...causing people, at least for a moment, to think about Down syndrome.

#6 From the funds raised for Buddy Walk we can do many good things: In the next day or so I will order about 40 copies of Babies with Down Syndrome for new parent packets and local area libraries. Also copies of Gifts, Mothers Reflect on How Children with Down Syndrome Enrich Their Lives for local libraries. Several other books as well for our FRIENDS library....all this Down syndrome education thanks to Buddy Walk.

We were able to present a check for $3000 to a family adopting 2 more boys with Down syndrome through Reece's Rainbow (they already adopted 2!), to help with the cost of International adoption. In many other countries, children with Down syndrome not adopted at a young age, are placed in mental institutions. To learn more please visit www.reecesrainbow.com

#7 Every person that was asked to donate, or was involved in the advertising, or saw the commercials and promotions THOUGHT ABOUT DOWN SYNDROME. Every person, involved in any way with Buddy Walk works with, goes to church with, or knows a bunch of people that they might influence to have a more positive view of Down syndrome.

I knew very little about Down syndrome before Jessie was born. I, because of my faith in God, never questioned that people with Down syndrome have great value simply because they are His creation. I know that not everyone feels the same way. An NDSS (National Down Syndrome Society) statistic says 90% of women who have a prenatal diagnosis of Down syndrome terminate the pregnancy. That breaks my heart. It is not the only reason, but is a great reason to celebrate Down Syndrome Awareness month, Buddy Walk included.


Two final thoughts:

1) God knows each of us...including those with Down syndrome.. before we are born.
Psalm 139:13-15 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place...

2)"I will act as though what I do makes a difference." Ben Franklin

*I found this quote a while back, attributed to Ben Franklin. I wasn't able to verify that, but like it whether he said it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment